Boston Celtics great, Bill Russell, the man with 11 NBA championship rings for 10 fingers, touches on developing an ‘outside-in’ versus ‘inside-out’ leadership style in his book ‘Russell Rules‘.
Here’s one of the ways he shared for business leaders, basketball coaches and players to use when they’re thinking about leadership:
- Remember the five most important words: “I am proud of you.”
- Remember the four most important words: “What is your opinion?”
- Remember the three most important words: “I appreciate that.”
- Remember the two most important words: “Thank you.”
- And remember the most important word: “You.”